Preschool Math Lesson Plans & Kindergarten Math Lesson Plans
The secret is to start, keeping your math activities very simple and make sure that if you ever see a child getting frustrated with numbers and pre k math activities, that you ask yourself if you are moving to quickly for them to learn.
We need to give our preschoolers, toddlers and kindergarten children all the time they need to learn numbers, counting and math in a relaxed and fun atmosphere that they will enjoy! When they enjoy a math activity-then they can learn from it better.
Here are some basic preschool math lesson plans and teaching ideas you can try with your preschoolers at home or in the preschool classroom.
Math Activities Lesson Plan for Learning Numbers:
- Have number & simple math activity books in the library for the children to look at
- Number puzzles can be put in the puzzle center.
- Group numbers into 5’s, once 1-5 can be said and recognized, move onto 5-10
- It is okay to go up 30 or possibly a little higher depending on the age of your group
- 30 is a good number to reach to as those are the number of days in some of our months
- If you are doing a “calendar time” before your circle, instead of focusing on days of the week and months, just focus on numbers and counting
- Once the children are familiar with at least number 1-10 you can try little equations with them using objects in group circles (i.e. If I have 3 apples and Johnny eats one, how many do I have left?)
- There are simple math work sheets in our math section of this site if you feel the children in you care are capable
- Adding fun songs, rhymes and finger plays dealing with numbers gets children familiar with them in a fun, memorable way that they will be sure to enjoy!
Math Song Idea: 5 Green and Speckled Frogs:
sat on a speckled log,
Eating the most delicious bugs,
One jumped into the pool,
Where it was nice and cool,
Now there are 4 green speckled frogs,
*Continue with this counting song singing down until you get to ‘No’ Green Speckled Frogs
Five Green & Speckled Frogs – Math Song Video:
The preschool learning video demonstrates how to use the songs ‘Five Green and Speckled Frogs’ using simple hand puppet or finger play idea.
You can learn the tune of the song if you are not familiar with it. It is a great song for teaching preschoolers about their numbers and simple math like subtracting.
Pre K Math Song: 10 Little Fingers
(follow action as in rhyme)
1 little finger,
1 little finger,
1 little finger…tap, tap, tap!
Point them to the ceiling,
point them to the floor,
and lay them in your lap…tap, tap!
*Continue counting up all the way to 10.
When you reach ten fingers instead of tapping, say clap.