Animal Lesson Plan Theme Activities for Kids
Preschool animal theme lesson plans are basically pretty simple learning ideas to come up with and can also be used as a kindergarten lesson plan for teaching as well.
Children really enjoy animals and usually have a many favorite types of animals. If your children love zoo animals you can also use a preschool zoo theme lesson for them to learn about different animals.
Preschoolers and kindergarten children learn can learn a lot about animals from having family pets, local zoos and from television shows which deal with different types of domestic animals and wildlife that they may see and learn about in their natural habitat etc.
This pre k theme information below provides some basic ideas on how you can start to build this animal lesson plan for preschool kids but, you can expand on these educational ideas below as you like or see fit with your children.
Starting Your Animal Lesson Plans & Kindergarten Theme:
When starting your animal theme lesson plans you want to make things fun.
Talk about different types of common animals: dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, hamsters, squirrels, guinea pigs, chipmunks, mice, birds, horses, cows, pigs, chickens, donkeys, etc.
You can have animal pictures, books on animals, animal toys & puzzles all related to animals available on the bookshelves and on the toy shelf for the children.
*Get Animal Flashcards Here
Animal Theme Circle Time & Creative Movement Activities:
Circle time is a good time for you to read a book related to different animals or to read books and stories on specific animals if that is how you are building your theme idea.
You can take this time to show different pictures of the different animals that you are talking about with the kids.
You can have the children do some creative movement activities and have them move around the classroom (or outside) as their favorite animal would move.
Let the children pretend to be their favorite animal as they run, jump, crouch, crawl etc. This is a great way for children to express themselves and to get some physical activity in.
You can purchase some fun animal masks or make some simple animal masks as a fun art activity for the kids that they can use.
*Music may or may not be used if you wish.
Questions You May Ask the Children:
- You can also use this opportunity to ask the children different questions
- Talk about where each different animal lives
- Talk about what each animal eats
- Talk about what each animal looks like
- What sounds does each animal make?
- A famous great song to sing is Old MacDonald Had A Farm (ei ei Oh!)
Simple Animal Lesson Plan Ideas:
- Dog (eats dog food, chews bones, plays fetch, barks, drinks water, likes to dig in the yard, likes to play)
- Horse (eats hay, carrots, apples, it gallops, neighs, drinks water)
- Chipmunk (eats nuts, stores nuts in cheeks, very fast runners, squeak, drinks water)
You will find the animal theme to be an idea that children love and one that will come pretty naturally to the children and they will do a lot of the talking and exploring.
This prek lesson plan about animals is one of the easier themes to teach your preschool class or kindergarten class and is great for learning more about the common animals and pets that we all see around us and animals in our communities and throughout the world.
Animal Lesson Resources:
- Here is a great resource for lessons involving ‘Australian Animals‘ – (which could be a lesson plan all on it’s own.)
- You can find some fun Animal Coloring Pages here.
- Flashcards are a great addition to teaching children and using to build a lesson plan. You can find printable Animal Flashcards here.