Mystery Box Activity for Preschoolers – Science & Sensory
Preschoolers, toddlers & kindergarten kids can learn about how things work through different simple science activities like this preschool Mystery Box activity for preschoolers that involves sensory activities like touching and feeling.
There are other sensory activities and experiments that involve touching/feeling, seeing, smelling, hearing and in some cases tasting that are fun ideas for the kids.
Science activities and games like the preschool mystery box activity help pre school children & kindergarten children to discover new things and to use a variety of their 5 senses and sensory skills. There are other similar types of touching and feeling sensory experiment ideas that can also be used with children.
A Fun Preschool Science/Sensory Activity for Kids:
This sensory activity is a game called ‘What is it’. It involves an easy to make, mystery box for preschool children where they try to identify the objects inside ONLY using their hands and their sense of touch.
What Is That? – A Learning Activity Using Your Sense of Touch
What you will need for this Sensory Activity:
- 2 – 3 boxes with lids
- Exacto knife
- 2 – 3 objects from around the room (hard and soft)
What to do:
- Cut a hole in 2 sides only of the boxes. Make sure the holes are not too big, just big enough for a preschooler to fit their hand in.
- Get 2-3 familiar objects from around the room. Put them each in a box and tape the lip closed.
- Have the children take turns putting their hands in and try to figure out what objects are in the boxes.
- *You can always take pictures for a picture book to put in the library as well as document the children’s guesses on a piece of chart paper.
Things to Put in Your Box: (Item suggestions)
- Different Fruits or Vegetables
- Shoes or Boots
- Balls (different sports)
- Pasta (cooked)
- Pasta (uncooked)
- Pom poms
How to Make A Preschool Mystery Box for Kids:
This kids preschool sensory activity is a great way for pre k children and young kids to use their sense of touch and feel around objects, using their sensory skills to try and figure out what the object or objects inside might be, what they feel like etc.
It’s a lot of fun and will keep your kindergarten and preschool children guessing and using sensory to expand their minds.
Science & sensory is about discovering new things and observing details. This ‘What Is It’, mystery box idea is a fun sensory activity for your pre k children to use to improve their sense of touch and feeling and sharpen their skills.
More Sensory Ideas for Preschool & Kindergarten