All About Me & A Lesson Plan on Body Parts for Preschool Kids
The All About Me preschool theme is a good choice for use with the pre k children, toddlers & kindergarten kids in your care when looking for new, educational theme ideas and lesson plans for the preschool classroom.
We all have things in common with each other when it comes to our physical bodies and the things we can do with our bodies and various body parts.
The lesson plan on All About Me for preschoolers below, teaches that from our arms, our legs, our eyes, mouth, ears and other parts of our face and even our hair, our faces and bodies are all similar yet, we are different in many ways.
The all about me lesson plan allows pre k & kindergarten children to learn new things and describe things ‘all about themselves’, all about their families, all about their bodies and body parts, parts of their face etc. while seeing that they are all similar with other pre school children in many physical ways.
There are many different all about me theme activities and teaching ideas, book, worksheets, songs and more on this page below.
Starting Your All About Me Theme:
When implementing an All about me preschool theme lesson plan you can start by showing how we are all similar with certain body parts.
All our body parts serve the same purposes – how is each body part we have used?
Here are some simple, preschool teaching activities and facts to bring out during a preschool All About Me theme lesson plan for young kids, kindergarten and preschoolers in the classroom today.
Theme & Lesson Plan Benefits for Toddlers & Preschoolers:
This About Me lesson for toddlers and preschool kids learning theme is a great way to interact with children and preschoolers as they learn about their body parts and what each body part does and how to use them, as well as learning about their favorite things, favorite foods and family members etc.
Learning Body Parts Lesson Plan & Discovering Themselves:
In order to start this all about me theme for preschool and kindergarten lesson plan with pre k children and toddlers you can focus on discussing the following areas with your preschool or kindergarten class.
You can certainly add to the pre k all about me theme lesson information below, however, the educational ideas below are good for building a fun lesson focusing on an ‘all about me’ theme for the kids in order for the children to learn more about each other, their body parts and themselves.
Talk About Various Body Parts We Have:
When starting out with this all about me preschool theme activity with the children, you can start by describing the different parts of of our bodies, body parts, parts of our face etc. that we all have in common.
- These body parts consist of legs, toes, feet and ankles.
- We also have knees on our legs.
- We have arms which have elbows.
- On our arms we have hands and wrists.
- Our hands have fingers etc.
- Our bodies also consist of a stomach, chest, back, bottom which is kind of like the connecting point for our legs and our arms.
- We also have a neck that holds our head.
- Our head has a face and hair.
- Each of our faces has a mouth, a set of eyes a nose and ears with hair on the top of our head.
- We each have teeth and a tongue and lips
What Does Each Body Part Do For Us?
- Our eyes allow each of us to see.
- Our noses allow us to smell new smells.
- Our ears allow us to hear sounds.
- With our mouths & teeth we can chew & eat our favorite foods.
- Our tongue and lips allow us to speak
- Using our legs we can run and jump and kick a ball.
- We can flap arms like a bird.
- Our neck allows us to move our head from side to side and up and down.
- We can make funny faces and stick out our tongue using our faces.
- We can move and wiggle our entire body around at the same time.
- Moving our body parts like our arms and our legs and our heads, hands and feet we can dance around. (This is a good opportunity to play some fun music that the kids will enjoy and can dance to.)
More All About Me Theme Activities & Ideas for Kids:
We each have a unique voice that nobody else has. My voice sounds like this. (You could then sing a fun simple children’s song like Head, Shoulder, Knees and Toes (*see below), ABC’s or Twinkle Little Star)
Talk About Feelings & Emotions:
I have many different feelings and emotions each and everyday such as feeling sad, angry, happy, scared, surprised and tired.
You could have the children fill in the blanks describing how they really feel. (eg.) When I am sad I____, When I am scared I_____ . When I am tired I _____. etc.
You can discuss laughing. Talk with the children about what laughing is and and how laughing is a happy feeling. We laugh at jokes or when we think something is funny. Laughter is a happy sound that makes us feel good.
Show & Tell Day:
Show and tell is a fun time when you can have the preschoolers go home and bring in 1 of their favorite items for the other children to see and learn about.
Doing show and tell helps children to express things about themselves and helps other children to learn about each other and what they have in common with things they like etc.
All About Me Theme Art Activities:
My Body – Fun Art Idea:
- Use a large roll of butchers paper or paper large enough for the kids to lie on.
- Have the pre school children take turns outlining each others body using a marker. Teachers may have to do the outlining for some children.
- The preschool or kindergarten children can now take some markers, paints or crayons and use their outline to draw themselves. They can draw how they think they look. These outlines and drawings can be hung around the classroom.
How I look Art:
A simple art activity and way for children to express themselves and how they think they look is to do the following.
- Get construction paper and cut out medium sized oval shapes. You could also draw oval shapes on the construction paper and have the children cut them with their own blunt ended scissors. (this is good practice for them and good for their little finger and hand muscles)
- Once the oval shapes are cut and each child has one – use markers or paint to allow the children to draw how they think they look, or how they are feeling on that day. This is a great way for children to express themselves while having fun.
Paper Plate Myself:
- Using paper plates, you can then have each child draw how they think they look. Whether they are sad, happy, angry or tired. They can do this using markers.
- You can then use paper strips or yarn to glue on hair in colors closely matching their own hair. You could also just use scissors and cut strips of hair into the paper plate for a similar affect.
Hand Print Fun:
Have each child dip their open palm into a colorful paint
Let the child press their hand print on to some contrasting color of construction paper. They can do this with both hands on their own piece of construction paper so they can see what their hand print look like.
Craft Ideas for All About Me Theme:
Other All About Me Preschool Lesson Plan Resources:
- You can have books based on an about me theme that you read with the children during circle.
- You can have images of different looking people hanging on the walls or in the library area.
- Have coloring pages and activity sheets that are about my body, body parts etc. *Use the printable pages below to add to your lesson plan.
All About Me Theme Dramatic Play Ideas:
Set up a house center for your preschool dramatic play area. You will find that the children may start to act out and role play different things from their own home experiences. (eg.)cooking in a pretend kitchen, cleaning the home etc..
All About Me Songs & Music:
Teach the children the song “head and shoulders knees and toes” and sing it with them. Find other fun music that is related to learning body parts and songs that talk about feelings/emotions and things related to this all about me pre k theme lesson & activity. *Watch the sample videos below for the songs to go along with your All About Me theme lesson plan.
Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes Song:
If Your Happy, Happy, Happy Clap Your Hands Song
All About Me Theme Books for You:
- National Geographic Kids Look and Learn: All About Me (Look & Learn) Board book
Science Activities for All About Me Theme:
All About Me Math Activities:
- For all about me math activities for preschoolers, you can simply have the children count the number of people in their family.
- You could have several hand drawn figures that you have cut out. They could then draw a face, color hair etc on each of these simple hand drawn figures representing each member of their family.
- You could also have the children count out how old they are and have them see there age represented by a number card of some sort.
- You could have them count how many pets they have etc..
- All about me math Race activity
You could have the pre k children count each one of there fingers, one by one. Or you could have them take a finger print of each finger dipped in paint and pressed onto a piece of construction paper. They can then count and see each finger print that is theirs.
All About Me Worksheets & Printable Lesson Plan Resources:
You can also use this all about me theme lesson plan activity to learn about the children’s favorite activities, favorite foods etc. This is a good opportunity to get them to discuss their pets, if they have any and talk about family members like mom, dad and any brothers and sisters that they may have. Use your imagination and think of new ways to make this all about the children.
- Worksheet – Portrait of my Myself
- Lesson Worksheet – Portrait of my Family
- Portrait of my Dog
- Portrait of my Cat
- Portrait of my Pets
- Portrait of my Fish
- Portrait of my Favorite Things
- Portrait of my Daddy
- Portrait of my Mommy
- Portrait of my Family
Feelings/Emotional Worksheets for this All About Me Lesson Plan:
- Draw the Faces – Emotion worksheet
- Five Senses Worksheets for Kids
- This is how I look when I feel – worksheets
- My Face Templates
Check out all our About Me Lesson Plan Printables & Worksheets for use in your lesson plan activities.
*We hope this helps give you a large head start on your All About Me theme pre k lesson plan for the children, preschoolers and toddlers in your educational care.
If you have any other suggestions on what to use for this ‘who am i’ lesson plan idea, please email us, we will add your lesson plan content if we feel it is of benefit to our visitors.