All About Me Preschool Theme & Lessons for Pre K Kids
We all have things in common with each other when it comes to our physical bodies and the things we can do with our bodies and body parts.
The All About Me preschool theme teaches that from our arms, our legs, our eyes, mouth and ears and even our hair, we are all similar yet different in many ways. The all about me lesson plan allows children to learn new things and describe ‘all about themselves’ and their families etc. while seeing where they are all the same with other children in certain physical ways.
When implementing an All about me lesson plan you can start by showing how we are all similar with certain body parts.
All these body parts serve the same purposes – how is each body part used?
Here are some simple, preschool teaching activities and facts to bring out during an About Me preschool theme lesson plan for young kids, kindergarten and preschoolers in the classroom today.
All About Me Preschool Lesson Plans for Toddlers – Benefits:
This About Me lesson for toddlers and preschool kids learning theme is a great way to interact with children and preschoolers as they learn about their body parts and what each body part does and how to use them, as well as learning about their favorite things, favorite foods and family members etc.
Teaching Kids About Themselves & Learning Body Parts:
In order to start this all about me preschool theme and lesson plan with your kindergarten kids, pre k children and toddlers you can focus on discussing the following areas with your class.
You can certainly add to the pre k theme lesson information below, however, the educational ideas below are good for building a fun lesson focusing on an ‘all about me’ theme for the kids in order for the children to learn more about each other and themselves.
Talk About Things We Have On Our Bodies:
When starting out with this preschool all about me theme activity with the children, you can start by describing the different parts of each of our bodies.
- These body parts consist of legs, toes, feet and ankles.
- We also have knees on our legs.
- We have arms which have elbows.
- On our arms we have hands and wrists.
- Our hands have fingers etc.
- Our bodies also consist of a stomach, chest, back, bottom which is kind of like the connecting point for our legs and our arms.
- We also have a neck that holds our head.
- Our head has a face and hair.
- Each of our faces has a mouth, a set of eyes a nose and ears with hair on the top of our head.
What Does Each Body Part Do For Us?
- Our eyes allow each of us to see.
- Our noses allow us to smell new smells.
- Our ears allow us to hear sounds.
- With our mouths we can eat our favorite foods.
- Using our legs we can run and jump and kick a ball.
- We can flap arms like a bird.
- Our neck allows us to move our head from side to side and up and down.
- We can make funny faces and stick out our tongue using our faces.
- We can move and wiggle our entire body around at the same time.
- Moving our body parts like our arms and our legs and our heads, hands and feet we can dance around. (This is a good opportunity to play some fun music that the kids will enjoy and can dance to.)
Other Theme Activities & Ideas for Kids:
We each have a unique voice that nobody else has. My voice sounds like this. (You could then sing a fun simple children’s song like Head, Shoulder, Knees and Toes, ABC’s or Twinkle Little Star)
Talk About Feelings:
I have many different feelings each and everyday such as feeling sad, angry, happy, scared, surprised and tired.
You could have the children fill in the blanks describing how they really feel. (eg.) When I am sad I____, When I am scared I_____ . When I am tired I _____. etc.
You can discuss laughing. Talk with the children about what laughing is and and how laughing is a happy feeling. We laugh at jokes or when we think something is funny. Laughter is a happy sound that makes us feel good.
Use a large roll of butchers paper or paper large enough for the kids to lie on. Have the children take turns outlining each others body using a marker. Teachers may have to do the outlining for some children.
The children can now take some markers, paints or crayons and use their outline to draw themselves. They can draw how they think they look. These outlines and drawings can be hung around the classroom.
Other Preschool Lesson Plan Resources:
- You can have books based on an about me theme that you read with the children during circle.
- You can have images of different looking people hanging on the walls or in the library area.
- Have coloring pages and activity sheets that are based on the theme. Use the printable pages below to add to your lesson plan.
Set up a house center for your preschool dramatic play area. You will find that the children may start to act out and role play different things from their own home experiences.
Songs & Music:
Teach the children the song “head and shoulders knees and toes” and sing it with them. Find other fun music that is related to learning body parts and songs that talk about feelings and things related to this all about me theme lesson & activity. *Watch the sample video below for the song.
Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes Song:
Pre K Theme Worksheets & Printable Resources:
You can also use this lesson plan activity to learn about the children’s favorite activities, favorite foods etc. This is a good opportunity to get them to discuss their pets, if they have any and talk about family members like mom, dad and any brothers and sisters that they may have. Use your imagination and think of new ways to make this all about the children.
- Worksheet – Portrait of my Myself
- Lesson Worksheet – Portrait of my Family
- Portrait of my Dog
- Portrait of my Cat
- Portrait of my Pets
- Portrait of my Fish
- Portrait of my Favorite Things
- Portrait of my Daddy
- Portrait of my Mommy
- Portrait of my Family
Emotional Printables for this Preschool Lesson Plan:
Check out all our About Me Lesson Plan Printables & Worksheets for use in your lesson plan activities.
*We hope this helps give you a large head start on your About Me pre k lesson plan theme for the children, preschoolers and toddlers in your educational care.
If you have any other suggestions on what to use for this ‘who am i’ lesson plan idea, please email us, we will add your lesson plan content if we feel it is of benefit to our visitors.